Is your back killing you after spending hours in front of your desk? The best back support for office chairs can be the answer to your solution.
Lumbar support cushions are specially designed to help you maintain proper posture while you are sitting down in a chair. These cushions hug your body firmly and offer lots of support that keeps your spine in a healthy position. Blood circulation is promoted when your spine is aligned, and the strain is removed from your back so you will feel less pain, even as you sit down for long periods of time.
If you end each day with a sore back, then it’s time for you to invest in one of these handy cushions.
Why Do You Need a Lumbar Support Pillow?
First of all, it is much more affordable to buy a lumbar pillow or seat cushion for your chair than it is to replace your entire chair. Office chairs are pretty expensive, especially if you are shopping for a chair that will offer you good lumbar support.
With these cushions, you can keep using your old traditional office chair, but it will be much more comfortable. Lumbar pillows offer lots of additional benefits. Here is a quick look at some of the other reasons you need to buy a support pillow:
- They are ideal for correcting poor posture like slouching.
- A good pillow will promote blood circulation, which can keep your limbs from feeling like needles-and-pins.
- Lumbar pillows are not just for office chairs. You can use them on any type of chair, including your vehicle seat. These pillows are ideal for customizing any seat so you can sit comfortably no matter where you are.
- When you feel better, you can be more productive, or you can continue working for hours on end without feeling strained.
- The right cushion will reduce tension in your back. This is terrific for keeping your spine and muscles healthy.
- You can use these pillows to change the sitting position for your chair. Memory foam pillows are ideal for shortening a deep seat so your legs won’t cramp up.
What to Look For in a Lumbar Support Pillow
These pillows come in all shapes and sizes. You can get big pillows that cover the entire seat back, and small ones that are just big enough to fit in the small of your back. Lumbar pillows are also made of all sorts of materials, and the designs of these cushions vary quite a lot. Not all of these pillows will offer the same benefits or sitting comfort.
People who struggle with back pain or who need more back support should look for cushions with the following features.
A firm feel
To get enough support, you should find a pillow that is firm. If it is too soft, you will only flatten the cushion and you won’t get the needed posture-correcting benefits or support. Cushions with a medium firmness – but not too hard – are ideal.
A nice curve
Most people prefer a cushion that fits nicely into their lumbar curve. These smaller cushions will push your spine into a natural position, which will prevent pain. Bigger cushions that have a nice curve can also be beneficial.
If the cushion has a nice curve that supports your lumbar region, then you will still get posture-correcting support, but the other parts of the cushion will reduce pain and tension in the rest of your back.
Easy to clean
The cushion should be easy to clean. Cushions with removable covers are ideal because you can easily wash the covers. Mesh lumbar supports are also good alternatives because they stay cleaner for longer, and you can wash them in a tub since they will get dry in no time at all.
It should fit your chair
Lumbar cushions have straps, so you can tie them to a chair back at a specific height. Look for a cushion that is adjustable so you can fit it on any type of chair. Elastic straps are preferable because these types of straps will secure the cushion into place so it won’t slide down.
Find the Best Back Support for Office Chairs
There are quite a few different types of lumbar cushions on the market. We spent a lot of time researching cushion features that are needed for reducing back pain and aches. Our team shortlisted the following five back support cushions because they excel in terms of design, quality, and efficiency.
Here is a quick look at our top picks.
The cushion is made of 100% memory foam and has a removable cotton mesh cover that you can easily wash. It is very easy to use this cushion because it has two adjustable elastic straps that fasten with plastic buckles.
You can place it on any type of chair to alter the seat depth or to get more support for your back. Just be careful not to use this cushion on small office chairs. It is a bit wide and will take up some of your seat space. On smaller chairs, you might feel uncomfortable if the seating area is reduced.
The pillow might feel a bit hot during summer, but it will keep you nice and comfy because the memory foam shapes to your body and retains its form. It will offer good support in the lumbar region and can also reduce pressure on your upper back or shoulder blades.
- Size – 15.7 x 13.7 x 3.2 Inches
- Weight – 1.41 Pounds
- Color – Black
- Main cover materials – Removable 100% cotton mesh cover
- Main inner materials – 100% Memory foam
- Installation method – Fasten it using adjustable elastic straps
- The cover has a zipper so you can remove it for washing
- The pillow fits just about any type of chair
- It has a nice natural curve that helps you maintain proper posture
- The pillow offers good back support because it is nice and firm
- The memory foam shapes to your back for a snug fit
- The chair is nice and tall so your entire back can enjoy good support
- The thick pillow can push you forward off the seat if the chair is small
- Short people may find the pillow a bit uncomfortable
- The pillow might not be breathable enough for hot days
The pillow has a unique shape that hugs your back and improves your posture. The memory foam will conform according to your body shape, so you can sit comfortably while you are driving or while you are at work.
The removable cover is washable, and it is designed with magnetic fibers that promote blood circulation and reduce the chances of getting pins and needles.
This pillow is very easy to take along on trips because it comes with an elastic buckle strap that fits most chair sizes. You can place it on any chair to reduce tension in your back or to reduce pain in the lumbar region.
- Size – 14.6 x 5.12 x 17 Inches
- Weight – 1.81 Pounds
- Color – Navy
- Main cover materials – 3D spacer fabric outer cover and magnetic fiber inner cover
- Main inner materials – Memory foam
- Installation method – Elastic buckle strap
- The curved design surrounds your back and supports your waist
- The memory foam is shape-retaining and will fit your body
- The cover has magnetic fibers that enhance blood circulation
- The adjustable strap fits around most chair types
- The firm design will correct your posture and isn’t too stiff
- The cover is removable and washable
- You can also buy the matching seat cushion
- It could feel warm during hot summers
- It might be too tall for short people
- On some chairs, it might slide down
The cushion is designed with breathable mesh fabric. When you place it on an ergonomic office chair, car seat, or another type of chair, it will improve your posture and it will create a void between your back and the seat so you won’t get all sweaty.
The silicone resin frame is not designed for heavy people, but those with an average build will benefit a great deal from this mesh cushion. It can reduce back pain, and the rubber massage nodes on the back will also help soothe sore nerves and muscles. It is a very popular cushion, and most people who buy it absolutely love the functionality of the mesh support.
- Size – 15 x 12 x 5.5 Inches
- Weight – 0.66 Pounds
- Color – Black
- Main cover materials – Polypropylene rubber
- Main inner materials – Silicon resin
- Installation method – Adjustable elastic belt
- The breathable mesh keeps you from feeling sweaty
- It is very light and portable
- You can fit it in just about any chair
- Sit more comfortably in a neutral position
- The center is designed with massage nodes that can help reduce pain
- The curved design hugs your body nicely
- Suitable for chairs with a shorter seat depth
- The metal edges may cause indentations on soft chairs
- The cushion might be a bit soft for heavy people
- For some chairs, you need to tie the strap into a knot at the back of the cushion
The cushion is designed with a curved steel frame that supports your back so you won’t be able to slouch into an unhealthy position. The depth or curve of this cushion is adjustable, and the mesh is firm but does give way under your weight so you can sit back comfortably.
The cushion is not a good pick for big people because the steel frame can press into your skin if you have a wider back. It is, however, a great cushion for average-built people who need more back support for an uncomfortable chair, or for those who want to upgrade their traditional office chairs to something more comfortable and breathable.
- Size – 15 x 13 x 5.3 Inches
- Weight – 1.21 Pounds
- Color – Black
- Main cover materials – Nylon double-layer mesh
- Main inner materials – Steel
- Installation method – Adjustable elastic strap or buckle straps
- You get two pillows for a good price
- It is perfect for ergonomic office chairs
- The breathable mesh keeps your back nice and cool
- The straps keep it in place so it won’t slide down your seat
- It is practical for various chair types
- The cushion offers good lumbar support
- It is made from high-quality materials
- The arch might reduce over time if used by heavy people
- Some people don’t have a need for two cushions
- The metal frame might hurt you if you have a very broad back
The pillow has a narrow design that fits snugly in the bend of your back thanks to the memory foam. The memory foam pillow is nice and firm, so you can lean into it and get more support or correct bad posture. This cushion is also height adjustable and can be moved up or down on your seat until you get a perfect position.
We also love the velvety soft feel of this cushion, and the cover can be removed so you can easily wash it whenever it gets dirty.
It is a great pillow for office chairs, but there is no reason you can’t use it on your car seat, sofa, or even your kitchen chair. The cushion is nice and compact, so you can easily grab it and take it with you as you travel.
The cushion is a bit wide at 4 inches, which might make it a bit unsuitable for smaller chairs. People with small backs can also find this cushion a tad too thick.
- Size – 15.75 x 3.94 x 7.87 Inches
- Weight – 1 Pound
- Color – Black
- Main cover materials – Soft polyester washable cover
- Main inner materials – Memory Foam
- Installation method – Adjustable elastic strap
- The velvety fabric is soft to the touch
- The removable cover is washable
- You can use it on any type of chair
- The high-density memory foam cushion shapes to your back
- You can place it at any height to find a comfortable position
- It is ideal for reducing pain when you sit for long periods of time
- Some feel that the pillow is not high enough for a desk chair
- The 4-inch thick pillow is a bit thick for some people
- The straps might come loose on some chairs
Are you having a tough time choosing the best pillow? Don’t worry, we have your back. Here is a quick guide to help you find the right lumbar support pillow.
The Budget Friendly
Most of the back support on this list is affordable, especially when you consider that you won’t have to replace an expensive office chair. If you are shopping on a tight budget, or if you are buying in bulk, then you can consider mesh support.
Mesh lumbar supports are more affordable and are surprisingly durable for their price. The 2-pack by Kingphenix Store is ideal because you get two supports at a very good price.
The Best Memory Foam Cushion
Memory foam cushions are often preferred because they have a greater weight capacity, they don’t have a metal frame that can hurt your back, and they hug your body nice and firmly. There are two memory foam cushions on our list.
The cushion by 5 Stars United is our top pick because it is nice and big, so you can get more support for your entire back.
If you are a bit shorter, the cushion by Matvio might be a better option. This cushion is just as comfy, but it has a lower design that might be more practical for shorter people.
The Best Mesh Support
Mesh supports recently became popular along with ergonomic office chairs. These supports are very light, and they are often preferred because they are firm yet not too hard, and they help keep you nice and cool because the mesh fabric is highly breathable.
The ACVCY is the best mesh support on our list. This back support is nice and wide, and it has rubber nodes in the middle that help soothe your sore back.
The mesh lumbar support by Kingphenix is a good alternative if you are shopping on a tight budget.
The Best for Lower Back Pain
All of these back supports will reduce your lower back pain, but the Relax Support cushion is often preferred because it has a slim design that helps target problem areas in your back. You can place it in the middle of your back to deepen your spinal curve, or you can position it at your lower back to get more support in this specific region.
The Best for Summer
Mesh back supports are a dream come true on hot summer days. These cushions create a gap and allow a lot of fresh air to circulate behind you, so you can stay nice and cool all day long. With this type of pillow behind your back, you won’t have to worry about sweaty office wear because you will stay nice and dry.
In this review, we discussed two great mesh back supports to choose from. Both of the mesh cushions on our list are ideal for summertime or for creating a more breathable chair.
Investing in your health is one of the best things you can do. A sore back can have a huge impact on your overall health, and it can affect your mood and your productivity. With something as simple as a good back support pillow, you can sit more comfortably, improve your posture, and work for longer without feeling sore.
The best part about these cushions is that you don’t have to throw out an entire office chair just to be comfortable. You can simply invest in a good cushion at a reasonable price and transform your chair.
We are sure that any of these pillows will make a huge difference in your sitting comfort. But if you do want to replace your old office chair, or if you are in the market for other types of chairs, then you should have a look at some of our other guides. We have a huge variety of reviews to help you find the best products at the best prices.